About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Strawberry Scones and Tea

I am sorry for being absent again, it seems friends and family are ill and dying at an alarming rate.
I know that is happens more often as we age but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with .
My love and prayers are with them all .

Today I had a rare home alone day so took advantage of it by walking around the house in my unmentionables and playing the guitar and singing as loud as I like.
I decided to make a nice treat to have with tea this afternoon.
I baked some strawberry scones.
I will leave the recipe just remember to toss your strawberries in some flour if they are thawed from frozen.
Mine were frozen from the summer when Gretchen and I picked strawberries together at Little's Berry Farm.
I thawed them slightly and chopped them and tossed them in flour as they were a bit moist.
The mixture is a bit sticky due to added moisture from frozen berries just flour knife before cutting.

                                                          Strawberry Scones                      Preheat oven: 400 F
In a large bowl add:

2 cups of flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
combine these four ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
4 tablespoons butter
Cut butter into the flour mixture until like crumbs.
3 eggs
Beat 1 of them in small dish with a tablespoon of water and set aside (this is your egg wash for the top of scones).
In another bowl beat the remaining 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons of almond extract.
 Stir eggs and almond  extract into dry ingredients.
Add 1/2 cup of  heavy cream (I used sour cream sometimes yoghurt adding it a spoonful at a time  until it holds together, don't over work dough they will be tough ) then add 1 cup of chopped strawberries.Turn dough onto floured board .
Roll out dough to 1" thick and flour knife and cut it into 8-12 scones.
 Place on a prepared baking sheet or use parchment paper.
Brush the scones with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar (I use Sugar In The Raw).
 Bake 15 minutes until golden brown
Then enjoy with a  lovely cup of tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment