About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Beef Barley Soup

Good morning!

My father loves to hear we are having roast beef for supper because he knows the following day I will make a pot of beef barley soup.
The day I prepare the roast, I brown it in a pot on top of the stove with worchestershire sauce,garlic,onion,a knob of butter and of course pepper.
Once the roast is seared and ready for the oven I cover the roast in boiling water and add the potatoes to cook along side it.
I usually take some of the broth from the roast half way through cooking to put over carrots in a separate baking dish, I find the carrots often make the gravy have a sweet taste.
I do save the left over broth from the carrots and add it to the pot of broth left over from roast along with the left over gravy after the roast dinner.
I refridgerate it for soup the next day.
I make sure to save a couple of slices of roast to cut- up in the soup as well.
Next morning I put the pot on top of the stove with the broth and the left over gravy and boil. I add 1/2 bag of pot barley, Once the barley has boiled in broth for about 1/2 hour add 1-2 carrots chopped small, 1 large diced onion, 2 celery stalks chopped as well as the leaves from the celery heart,1-2 cloves chopped garlic.
Continue to cook until vegetables are tender.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment