About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Frost Quakes

I can honestly say that I hadn't heard of frost quakes at all until the last few years.
Have you heard of them?
Well the temperature drops and the moisture in the ground freezes and the ice cracks and then BOOM!
Water expands in the frozen soil and it put lots of stress on the it and will release the energy all at once causing the frost quake much like an earthquake releases energy and shifts the ground.

This is what we have been experiencing quite a bit this winter so far also the house makes loud cracks and booms like someone is trying to break in or the house is going to fall in or something big hitting the house.
It is cold enough the back room here has cracks in the plaster from it shifting from the cold.

We are quite use to cold winters but this one sure is starting out to be one of the coldest I have experienced.
Today is warming up it is -30C.
I will keep warm inside and hope that everyone else does too!


No comments:

Post a Comment