About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Harvard Beets

 I decided to make homemade harvard beets and compare them to the canned ones just to see if there was that much of a difference in the taste.
Guess what, homemade harvard beets won hands down!
That is not to say the canned ones were not good, they were but not as good as homemade.
I hope you enjoy these beets as much as I did.

                         Harvard Beets

2 1/2 cups beets boiled, sliced or diced (I diced mine)
Blend 2 tablespoons of sugar,1 tablespoon of cornstarch,and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a pan
Add 1/4 cup of vinegar,1/4 teaspoon of grated orange rind,1/2 cup of beet juice (beet water)and cook until thickened stirring constantly the sauce will  become clear instead of cloudy from the cornstarch
Stir in 3 tablespoons of orange juice  and 2 tablespoons of butter and the beets
cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
This amount serves 5-6 people and can also be canned while hot
.Harvard Beets by MotleyOklahoman
                                                                                                    photo courtesy of Motley Oklahoman

No comments:

Post a Comment