About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Ham Tomato Bean Soup

                                                               Ham Tomato Bean Soup

Hambone
2 tablespoons of chicken boullion
2 teaspoons of basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 palm full of parsley flakes
tomato paste ( 1 large can)
pea beans (uncooked,1/3 of a bag rinsed)
2 onions
2 bayleaves
3 stalks of celery
4 heaping tablespoons of Nordia Ajvar Hot (This is a paste of red peppers,eggplant,hot peppers, and garlic)
this product is imported from Turkey and can be purchased at speciality stores.
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 sweet potato
1 white potato
(any other vegetable you llike often I mince spinach in mine as well although I didn't this time around it is very tasty and a great way to get those who balk at the thought of eating swiss chard ,spinach or kale)

Boil hambone and beans for about 1 hour, remove hambone and clean rest of meat off of it and chop it up and return to pot, add more chopped ham if you have more.
add bayleaves, tomato paste,vegetable spread and chopped garlic cloves and spices boil for another hour before adding the vegetables.
Once you have added vegetables cook until tender and serve soup with homemade biscuits.

                                                     

                                Ham, tomato,bean soup
                                          Vegetable spread
                                          Flaky Biscuits 


 Flaky Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk

Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Add shortening and work into the flour until it feels like coarse cornmeal. (If you like real flaky biscuits, increase the amount of shortening.)

Add milk and mix just enough to keep the dough together. Place dough on a floured bread board and knead for a few moments. Use a rolling pin to roll dough out to a half-inch thickness. Roll lightly. Cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 450 degrees F.

Makes 12.(Thanks to recipe goldmine for the biscuit recipe, the soup is my own creation)


 Such a nice meal on such a blustery evening.

I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment