About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday's Favorites

Strawberry Jam

Ingredients

- 4 cups strawberries
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fruit pectin (I don't use pectin as you can read in the directions below but do give the option of adding it to those that prefer to).

Directions:

Clean and chop strawberries and put in canning pot along with sugar.

Pour in the lemon juice and fruit pectin if you use it. Boil mixture then simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.

Stir frequently.

When finished skim off the foamy top layer of the mixture and jar(be sure to use hot sterilized jars and lids.

(I add one tablespoon of vodka, on top of the strawberry jam,before tightening the lid, I light it and close the lid quickly. The flame will consume all of the alcohol and the oxygen. Inside the jar you will have a vacuum that allows for longer storage without using preservatives. it is 1:1 fruit and sugar, but you can try with a bit less if you like but will require pectin to thicken the jam.)


Clean the jars with a damp towel. After 10 minutes turn around and place jars on the lid. Let cool down, turn over again and store.

Even though it is not recommendable to do so, you could leave the strawberry jelly up to 5 years stored in a cool and dark place and still eat it without any problems.

I'm sure you'll like your homemade strawberry jam so much more than the store bought.

Seeing as strawberry season has just started I figured a strawberry jam recipe was in order.

I hope you and yours enjoy and share this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment