About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday's Favorites!

It's Friday again and as promised I am posting one of my favorite recipes.
I actually made this recipe this week and my parents and myself have been enjoying it for lunches with a nice loaf of french bread.

Potato/Leek Soup

3 leeks sliced (ensure you soak them well to get all the grit out)
2 small onions diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 potatoes peeled and diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 quart of heavy cream (Whipping cream or cereal cream works well too)
1 quart of milk
cornstarch
1/4 pound of butter
Salt and Pepper

I usually start out with my stock pot as it starts out large and cooks down quite a bit, in the end you have about half as much.
This recipe makes about 12 generous servings.

In large stock pot melt butter over medium heat.
Add leeks, onion and garlic.
Saute` until tender but not brown.
Add the broth, potato, salt and pepper and cook until potato about half cooked.
Add the cream and 1/2 the milk and turn the heat down to low and cook over low stirring often for 2-3 hours.
Once your potato is cooked through (firm not mushy) mix cornstarch (I use about 4-6 tablespoons full) and the rest of the milk together and stir into the soup continue cooking until the soup is the desired consistency
( this will probably take another hour on a medium heat) ensure you stir more often as you don't want to scorch your soup!
Serve and enjoy!
(This is recipe less the leeks,onions, potatoes and garlic is the base for all my cream soups).

No comments:

Post a Comment