About Me

My photo
I live and love in the small town of Marmo, Ontario, Canada. I am a mother of two wonderful young men and grandmother to a little beauty that owns a big piece of my heart. I have great love for my family and they come first in my life. Mollydooker is slang for a left handed person and lord knows I am as left-handed as they come. Waltz, by definition is informal, leading purposefully( my life). I will be sharing with you my ... Mollydooker's Waltz.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Left-handed Scissors?

Good moring!  I have been having a time with my scissors again today and to prove once again that left handed and right handed scissors are made differently I felt I had to re-post this for all the right handed people in my household that keep using my left handed scissors.

I thought today I would share with you one of my pet peeves of being a lefty...SCISSORS!!!!

If you are a lefty you know the aggravation I am feeling when faced with the task of using scissors.
In my home there are about 10 pairs of scissors , most of them right handed.

Trying to keep my left handed scissors out of the grips of the right handed people in my household has been difficult.
With so many pairs of right handed scissors why do they need to ruin mine?
The answer is, they do not put things back in their place when they finished using them so mine are the easiest pair to find when doing anything because they are put back in the place they belong when I finish using them.

Left handed scissors are made to be used by left handed people, they are made different and when a right handed person uses them they tend to pull the blades apart rendering them useless to the lefty that picks them up to use them left handed.
I have had many arguments over the years about this and I finally found an article that actually backed up my claims.


 " Right-hand scissors, the part of the scissors lying `on top' at
the intersection of the two parts, will be the one 
from top-left
to bottom-right, whereas for left-hand scissors,
 the uppermost will
be the part from bottom-left to top-right. 
Turning the scissors around
or up-side down won't change this relationship.

Secondly the reason for this difference lies in the
 way the scissors are opened and closed
 by your left or right hand.
 When you close the scissors, 
 the cutting edges close and the
 cutting edges
are pressed together because your fingers holding 
the scissors bend
and your thumb stretches.
 If the cutting edges are pushed away from
each other, the material being cut slides in between,
 and is definitely not cut.
 This is what happens when you use 
right-hand scissors
with your left hand.

Since your left hand is a mirrored version of your 
right hand,
your scissors should be `mirrored' as well.
 This is why the cutting
edges are made on the opposite side of each part, 
and the parts
are assembled just the opposite way, giving you
 perfect left-handed
scissors."

My thanks go out to Jurgen Van Engelen for 
providing the right-handed people in my
household with proof that what I have been saying all these years is so!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment